Angera, Province of Varese, Lombardy, Italy
Situated at the south end of Lake Maggiore, this resort center enjoys a fine lakefront, where modern tourist facilities are located, with the ancient castle of the Borromeo family in a domineering position, offering a great view over the whole lake landscape. The area is also renowned for its quality wines.
What to see
History - Antiquity
Archeological findings have shown the presence of human settlements in the area sice the most ancient times. In local caves items have been found dated 8000 BC, and the population of the time practiced hunting and later angling on the lake. In Roman times it was called Angleria and was an important lake porton Lake Verbanum (the Roman name of Lake Maggiore) and a "statio", that is, a resting place along the Roman roads. The original Roman plan that divided the town in "insulae" is still visible in the present road plan.
Altitude: 195 mt a.s.l -- Population: ca. 5500 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 21021 -- Phone Area Code: 0331 -- Patron Saint: Santa Maria Assunta celebrated on 15 August -- Frazioni & Località: Barzola, Capronno
History - Middle Ages and Modern Times
In medieval times it was called Stazzona, and its strategic importance rose with the construction of the powerful fortress, as a checkpoint on the south of Lake Maggiore. Angera became in the 14th century a bishopric seat and in 1397 passed under the rule of Gian Galeazzo Visconti and in 1449 to the Borromeo family. In 1743 the Treaty of Worms assigned the western bank of the lake to Piedmont, so Angera was on the borderline between Piedmont (under the Savoy) and Lombardy. In 1820 the harbor was rebuilt, and the introduction in 1826 of steamships gave great impulse on lake trade.
Follow us on Facebook: