Bormio, Province of Sondrio, Lombardy, Italy
Between the 10th and 13th centuries Bormio was disputed by both the bishops of Como and those of Coira, and was gradually able to obtain a remarkable autonomy. In 1376 the town came under the Visconti of Milan, and maintained many privileges, that were however lost when in 1487 it was occupied by the Lega dei Grigi (or Grigioni).
In 1797 it was included in the Cisalpina Republic, then in 1815 the congress of Vienna gave the whole Lombardy to Austria. In 1859 after the Second War of Italian Independence Bormio, with the rest of Lombardy, became part of the newly established Kingdom of Italy. In the early decades of the 20th century spa establishments and the increasing popularity of winter sports gave new impulse to tourism.