Levanto, Province of La Spezia, Liguria, Italy
Levanto lies on the sea, in a beautiful valley of olive trees and pines, and since the 1920's has been a fashionable resort, with guests as the Mussolini and Agnelli families.
All over the valley there are, hidden here and there, enchanting discoveries for the visitors: tiny colorful boroughs, watermills, chapels. The coastal waters facing Levanto are the center of the Marine Reserve Cinque Terre.
Population: ca. 5500 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 19015 -- Phone Area Code: 0187 -- Patron Saint: Sant'Andrea Apostolo celebrated on 24 July -- Frazioni & Località: Lizza, Lavaggiorosso, Dosso, Groppo, Montale, Vignana, Lerici, Pastine, Chiesanuova, Fontona, Legnaro, Fossato, Ridarolo
In Roman times there was a settlement called Ceula near present-day Montale, which has a strategic communication center. Under the Franks there was on the place a sighting tower, which was then transformed into the belltower of the Church of San Siro. In the late Middle Ages Levanto rose in importance, and was a fiefdom of the Malaspina family first, then passed to the Da Passano and in 1229 to the Genoa Republic. It was at the time a commercial center, well-known for the "Levanto red" marble, directly connecting the sea and Genoa to the Francigena road. In the 15th century there was a remarkable growth nearer to the sea, which was called the Borgo Nuovo.
What to see
Follow us on Facebook: