Lerici, Province of La Spezia, Liguria, Italy
In Roman times Lerici was a minor center, but after the fall of the ROman empire in 476 AD and the rise of Genoa, Lerici became a war theatre for the strife between Genoa and Pisa.
In 1241 after the Giglio island battle, Pisa occupied the town, and changed it into a fortified harbor, but only 15 years later Genoa reconquered Lerici and the castle of San Giorgio was built. For a century, between 1396 and 1491, it was occupied by the French, who used it as a transit port. Then in the 17th and 18th centuries it grew in importance, and in the 19th century was very active in the movement for Italian unity.