The territory of Picinisco is included in the Abruzzo, Lazio and Molise National Park, one of the oldest in Italy, and more exactly in the area called Valcomino, formed of the Upper Comino Valley bordering on the Apennines of Abruzzo. The sector is divided into two areas, the Park area including all the peaks, Val Canneto, Prati di Mezzo and Le Mainarde. The highest mountains are: Monte Meta 2242 m, Monte Petroso 2249 m, Rocca Altiera 2016 m, Monte Serrone 2000 m and Monte Forcellone 2030 m; the other peaks lie between 1850 and 2000 metres.
Picinisco, Province of Frosinone, Lazio Region, Italy
This small center situated at 850 meters above sea level overlooks from above the whole Comino valley. It is an important winter resort, thanks to the fine skiing fields for both downhill, thanks to the modern facilities, and for cross-country skiers.
For a time it was also a residence of English author D.H.Lawrence, and the house where he lived and wrote "The Lost Girl", which is set against the natural scenery of the area. A peculiar tradition of Picinisco is the construction of the zampogne, made with olive wood and with air sacks made from goat or lamb skin. The zampognari also used to wear the traditional "ciocie" (from which the area is called Ciociaria), open leather footwear which surely derive from Etruscan designs.
Altitude: 725m a.s.l -- Territory: mountainous -- Population: ca.1200 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 03040 -- Phone Area Code: 0776 -- Patron Saint: S. Lorenzo How to reach it: A1 (Milano-Napoli) exit Cassino
What to see:
The area around Picinisco belonged to the Lombard Dukedom of Benevento, then to the monastery of Monte Cassino, and in 866 passed to the Benedictine abbey of San Vincenzo di Volturno. In that period probably the peasants of the area moved to higher spots to get a better defense against the attacks of the Saracens. In 1017 the name Picinisco appears in a donation to the abbot of Monte Cassino.
The name Picinisco may be of Saracen origin but there is no certainty. The walls that surround Picinisco had five Gates: the Porta Saracina, Porta Codarda, Porta Rione, Porta della Prece and Porta della Piazza.
Follow us on Facebook: