Rimini, Province of Rimini, Emilia Romagna, Italy
Ariminum was a road junction connecting central Italy (Via Flaminia) and northern Italy (Via Aemilia and Via Popilia) as well as a sea and river port. Emperors enriched the town with monuments as the Arch of Augustus, Tiberius' Bridge and the Amphitheatre.
In the 14th century AD Rimini was a free Commune and many convents and churches were built, where also Giotto worked. The Malatesta family, whose most famous member was Sigismondo Pandolfo, a condottiere and patron, was lord of Rimini between 1432 and 1468. At the beginning of the sixteenth century, once the Malatesta family had been banished, Rimini was included in the Church State.
For many centuries the main resource along with trade was fishing. In 1797, Rimini became part of the Cisalpine Republic established by the Napoleonic government, which suppressed the monastic orders and demolished many churches including the ancientcathedral of Santa Colomba. On 30th March 1815, Joachim Murat launched his proclamation to unity and independence of the Italian people from Rimini.
In 1843 the first bathing establishment and the Kursaal started the new tourist era. In a few years, in the marina became a great many sea villas were built, and in the early twentieth century the Grand Hotel became the emblem of a new kind of tourism. During World War II, the city was heavily bombed, but after liberation on September 21 1944, impressive reconstruction works began gaving rise to an economy based on tourist.