LogoLogo

Ravenna , Province of Ravenna, Emilia Romagna, Italy

Ravenna is situated inland, but is connected to the Adriatic Sea by a canal. Once the capital of the Byzantine Roman Empire and later the Ostrogothic kingdom, has eight of its monuments listed as UNESCO World Heritage Sites.

A wealth of other attractions creates an enticing tourist experience, from international events as the Ravenna Festival, to the Mirabilandia theme park and the tasty cuisine which offers the fragrant piadina, Adriatic seafood, home made pasta and grilled meat accompanied by the renowned Romagna wines.

province of Ravenna

Info

Altitude: 4 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 150,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 48100 -- Phone Area Code: 0544 -- Patron Saint: Sant'Apollinare celebrated on 23rd July -- Demonym: ravennati (formerly ravegnani) -- GPS Coordinates: 44.25.4.N - 12.11.58.E -- Useful Links: official website of the Comune of Ravenna | map of Ravenna

Administrative Division

"Frazioni" & Localities: Ammonite, Borgo Masotti, Borgo Montone, Borgo Faina, Camerlona, Campiano, Carraie, Casal Borsetti-Primaro, Casemurate, Castiglione di Ravenna, Classe, Coccolia, Conventello, Filetto, Fornace Zarattini, Fosso Ghiaia, Gambellara, Ghibullo, Grattacoppa, Lido di Magnavacca, Lido Adriano, Lido di Classe, Lido di Dante, Lido di Savio, Longana, Madonna dell'Albero, Mandriole, Marina di Ravenna, Marina Romea, Mezzano, Mirabilandia, Osteria, Pialassa Baiona, Pialassa Piombone, Piangipane, Pilastro, Pineta San Vitale, Porto Corsini, Porto Fuori, Punta Marina Terme, Ragone, Roncalceci, San Michele, San Pietro in Campiano, San Pietro in Trento, San Pietro in Vincoli, San Romualdo, Sant'Alberto, Sant'Antonio, Santerno, San Zaccaria, Santo Stefano, Savarna, Savio, Torri

What to see

History

Ravenna was an important seaport on the Adriatic, as well as an administrative center during the Roman Empire and the early Middle Ages. At the time it was on a coastal lagoon and traversed with canals.

It was an important base of the Roman fleet, and Classis (from the Latin for fleet) was the name given to port, protected by its walls. The imperial Porta Aurea of Classis was demolished only in the 16th century. Columns from Classis were scattered among Christian churches in Ravenna, and even to Venice.

After 404, when Ravenna was an imperial residence, it gained its most famous monuments, both secular (demolished) and Christian (largely preserved). In 493 Ravenna became was the capital of Theodoric, king of the Ostrogoths. After the battle of Verona, Odoacer retreated to Ravenna, where he withstood a siege of three years by Theodoric, until the conquest of Rimini deprived Ravenna of supplies. Theodoric employed Roman architects for secular and religious structures, including the lost Palace near San Apollinare Nuovo. The palace was sacked by the Byzantines in 539, then became the seat of the exarchs and of the King of the Lombards. Charlemagne took away columns of this palace for his own palace at Aachen. The last tower that remained of the palace of Theodoric was destroyed in 1295.

Following the conquests of Belisarius for Emperor Justinian I in the sixth century AD, Ravenna became the seat of the Byzantine governor of Italy, the Exarch, and was known as the Exarchate of Ravenna. After the Byzantine withdrawal Ravenna was ruled by legates of the Pope as one of the Papal States. It became part of the Kingdom of Italy in 1861.

Where to stay

Follow us on Facebook: