LogoLogo

Bobbio, Province of Piacenza, Emilia Romagna, Italy

Bobbio is is located in the Trebbia River valley southwest of Piacenza city, and is world famous as the seat of an early Benedictine monastery, partly used as the setting in Umberto Eco's novel «The Name of the Rose». The town has a very ancient folk music tradition, based on the flute and accordion, which are still handicrafted by local artisans, and a typical dance called "giga di Bobbio bala Ghidon". Its folk groups are requested in celebrations and festivals also on the international scene.

Info

Altitude: 271 m a.s.l -- Population: about 3,700 inhabitants (in 2013) -- Zip/postal code: 29022 -- Phone Area Code: 0523 -- Patron Saint: San Colombano the Abbot and three more: Sant'Antonio Maria Gianelli, Madonna dell'Aiuto, Santa Maria Assunta -- Demonym: bobbiesi -- "Frazioni" & Localities: Altarelli, Arelli, Areglia o Area, Aregli, Avegni, Barberino, Barostro, Bertuzzi, Brodo, Brugnoni, Ca' di Sopra, Ca' del Monte, Cadonica, Caldarola, Callegari, Caminata, Casarone, Cassolo, Casteghino, Cavarelli, Ceci, Cento Merli, Cernaglia, Cognolo, Costa Tamborlani, Degara, Dezza, Embresi, Fornacioni, Fosseri, Freddezza, Gobbi, Gorazze, Gorra, Lagobisione, Levratti, Mezzano Scotti, Moglia, Mogliazze, Nosia, Passo Penice, Piancasale, Pianelli, Poggio d'Areglia, San Cristoforo, San Martino, San Salvatore, Santa Maria, Schiavi, Tamborlani, Telecchio, Vaccarezza, Valle, Zanacchi.

province of Piacenza

History

Known to the ancients as Bobium or Ebovium, the Irish Saint Columbanus established a monastery sometime between 612 and 614. The monastery became a center of learning during the Middle Ages, and was renowned for its library, but its decline in the 15th century led to the dispersal of the library.

The town became part of Savoy kingdom in 1748. St. Columban's abbey was suppressed by the French in 1803; what remains of the abbey is now used as a municipal school, and the church, where the relics of Saints Columbanus, Attala, Bertulf, Cummian, and others repose, is now a parish church.

What to see

Follow us on Facebook: