Marzabotto, Province of Bologna, Emilia Romagna, Italy
Located 27 km (17 miles) southwest of Bologna in the valley of the Reno, in the autumn months of 1944, it was the site of the Marzabotto massacre, for which the town received the gold medal to military courage.
The area has been inhabited since very ancient time, when it was included in Etruria; on its territory there are the remains of an Etruscan town dating back to the sixth century BC, by some identified with the ancient Misa, although recent discoveries tend to give it the name Cainua or Kainua. The name of Marzabotto is recorded in 1551.
Altitude: 130 m a.s.l -- Population: about 6800 inhabitants (in 2010) -- Zip/postal code: 40043 -- Phone Area Code: 051 -- Patron Saint: San Giuseppe and San Carlo, celebrated on 19 March -- "Frazioni" & Localities: Lama di Reno, Lama di Setta, Pian di Venola, Sibano, Sperticano, Sirano, Pioppe, Panico, Canovella, San Silvestro, Casaglia, Luminasio, Medelana, Quercia, Gardeletta, Allocco
What to see
Follow us on Facebook: