Alfano, Province of Salerno, Campania
Provinces of Campania
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 250 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1000 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 84040
- Phone Area Code: 0974
- Demonym: alfanesi
- Patron Saint: St. Nicola, celebrated on 6 December.
What to see
- The Novelli palace, dating back to the 18th century, features a large carved stone entrance leading into a courtyard; teh palace was also used for a time as townhall.
- The Speranza Palace, belonging to the Speranza barons from Laurito, who donated it to the Church. It is an imposing complex located on a slightly elevated position above the town.
Where to stay
However, the first historical documents about Alfano can be found in the Angevin registries which states that the inhabitants of the place had hidden three "fuochi" (taxed families) and had to pay a fine. In 1496 King Ferrante II granted to Giovanni Caraffa the territory of Alfano together with that of Policastro, San Giovanni a Piro, Bosco and Torre, after the previous lord, as he had owned Antonello de Petriy, was executed. In 1588 Alfano was purchased by Paolo Brancaccio.
In 1619 Viceroy Duke of Ossuna approved the sale made by Scipio Brancaccio to Dr. G.Andrea Vernallo from Campagna for 9500 ducats; the latter's son then sold the fief to Diego Vitale from Cava in 1624. In 1669 Alfano was under G. Andrea Bernalla.