Piano di Sorrento, Province of Napoli, Campania
Situated about 25 km south of Naples at the foot of Monte Vico Alvano (653 m a.s.l.) along the Sorrento coast, the commune occupies the central part of the Sorrento peninsula, which divides the Gulf of Naples from the Gulf of Amalfi.
The territory rich in waters and the fertility of the soil give a wealth of agricultural products - olive, grapes, fruit - accompanied by fishing and today by tourist resources.
Provinces of Campania
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Population: about 12,900 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 80063
- Phone Area Code: 081
- Patron Saint: St. Michele Arcangelo, celebrated on 29 settembre
- Frazioni & Localities: Cassano, Colli San Pietro, Mortora, Trinità.
Archeological findings have revealed settlements in the area going back to the late neolithic period and early bronze age (about 2800 BC), followed by Etruscan and Greek colonization, creating a special mix of cultures typical of the Sorrento peninsula. Piano was united to Sorrento until 1808, when it became an autonomous commune. The hamlet of Marina di Cassano was especially important as a shipyard for the construction of sailboats.
What to see
- The Villa De Sangro di Fondi, a great example of neo-classical architecture, a national monument today and used as a congress center and place for events and weddings, with two side wings protruding spectacularly towards the sea, is especially famous for its historical gardens, with over 250 different plants and a Roman Ninfeum with mosaic floor, originally in Marina della Lobra.