LogoLogo

Torella dei Lombardi, Province of Avellino, Campania

Province of Avellino
In the typical sub-Apennine landscape that alternates hilly areas, wide valleys, rocky ridges, Torella is at the foot of the Picentini Mountains, a territory characterized by numerous waterways, among which the Ofanto, the largest river of Upper Irpinia.
The municipal territory is part of the Irpinia seismic district. During the 1980 earthquake, in the municipality of Torella there were 24 victims and over half the population was left homeless.

Provinces of Campania

Info

  • Altitude: 666 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 2000 inhabitants in 2017
  • Zip/postal code: 83057
  • Phone Area Code: 0827
  • How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Grottaminarda or Avellino Est; proceed for 2 km along the nazionale Appia n.7
  • Demonym: torellesi
  • Patron Saint: St. Eustachio celebrated on 20 September
  • Frazioni & Localities: Acquara, Cedolena, Cerri, Girifalco, Lenze, Montanaldo, Pianomarotta, Santi Giovanni e Paolo, San Vito, Serrone.

What to see

  • The Castello Candriano, also called "Ruspoli", 15th century
  • The Fontana Pubblica Monumentale, a fountain with nine spouts through which the water springs out and falls into square stone basins.
  • The Norman Tower, on the Girifalco hill.

History

The origin of the site can be traced back to king Louis II the Younger, who in 848 d.C. fixed the border between the Duchies of Benevento and Salerno at the river Fredane, along which fortresses were born, on the one side Sant'Angelo del Pesco and Rocca San Felice, and on the other side Monticchio dei Lombardi, Sant'Angelo dei Lombardi, Torella dei Lombardi and Guardia dei Lombardi.

The first mention of the name dates back to 850 as "Turrella" (= small tower). It belonged to the Saraceno family until 1529, when it passed to Alfonso della Rosa who in 1550 sold Torella and Girifalco to the Caracciolo, who in 1639 were awarded the title of Torella princes and kept the title until the Unification of Italy.

Until 1862 Torella dei Lombardi was called just Torella, while "dei Lombardi" was added only after the unification of Italy, in order to avoid cases of homonymy. In the 1950s the last heirs of the Caracciolo donated the castle to the municipality that now uses it as the seat of the townhall and as a museum.