Serino, Province of Avellino, Campania
Provinces of Campania
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 400 m a.s.l
- Population: about 6900 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83028
- Phone Area Code: 0825
- Demonym: serinesi
- Patron Saint: St. Francis if Assisi, celebrated on 4 October.
What to see
- The church of San Lorenzo, located in Canale, built in the 16th century; inside, a painting by Guarini and a 17th-century canvas by Solimene, representing the martyrdom of San Lorenzo.
- Ruins of the church of SS. Corpo di Gesù.
- The Oratorio Pelosi, built in 1745, located in Canale.
- Lombard fortress La Civita, located in Ogliara.
Where to stay
The origins of Serino are to be found in the mysterious Sabatia, a centre of a people of Samnite origin, the Sabatini who probably found shelter on the site of the present settlement towards the middle of the 2nd century BC. Its feudal lords were the Balbano, Tevilla, Della Marra, Della Tolfa and Caracciolo families.