LogoLogo

Santa Lucia di Serino, Province of Avellino, Campania

Province of Avellino
Santa Lucia di Serino lies in the upper Valley of the river Sabato, protected from the winds by Monte Faggeto (1148 meters above sea level), which separates it from Volturara, with which it was previously connected by a transhumance sheep track used by Hirpini shepherds.
The environmental context is enchanting, with lush green landscapes, and abundant water, typical features of the Terminio-Cervialto area.

Provinces of Campania

Info

  • Altitude: 400 m a.s.l
  • Population: about 1400 inhabitants in 2018
  • Zip/postal code: 83020
  • Phone Area Code: 081
  • Demonym: luciani
  • Patron Saint: Santa Lucia celebrated on 13 December; San Rocco, celebrated on 16 August
  • Frazioni & Localities: San Rocco.

Economy

It is a place of ancient agricultural traditions, with famous vineyards producing extraordinarily sweet grapes, cereals, olives, vegetables, fruit of all sorts, hazelnuts and chestnuts of good quality. Moreover, there is an age-old tradition of cattle and sheep raising.

What to see

  • The church of SS.Apostoli Pietro e Paolo, which dates back to the 17th century, where numerous works of sacred art are kept.
  • The church of San Rocco (19th century)
  • The remains in Acquara of a Roman aqueduct.
  • The Monastery of Santa Maria della Sanità, built in the 17th century adorned with lately restored frescos, paintings and mosaics, is very interesting.
  • Palazzo Moscati, a 19th-century elegant residence where San Giuseppe Moscati lived.

History

The territory was inhabited in very ancient, pre-Roman, times, by the Hirpini. Later on, the Romans built in Acquara a huge aqueduct, exploiting the homonymous springs. This hydraulic engineering work carried the waters of Santa Lucia di Serino to the military port of Miseno, crossing the Sarno river valley.

Originally a simple "Casale" (=hamlet) of Serino, it became an independent center only in the Middle Ages, around the middle of the 12th century, and was a small fiefdom under Guglielmo de Tivilla. Several feudal lords followed one another in the fief, which in 1561 was emancipated from feudal lords. It was in 1880 the birthplace of a Saint, Giuseppe Moscati, the "doctor of the poor", whose mortal remains are in the Sanctuary of the Church of Gesù Nuovo in Naples.