Santa Lucia di Serino, Province of Avellino, Campania
Provinces of Campania
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 400 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1400 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 83020
- Phone Area Code: 081
- Demonym: luciani
- Patron Saint: Santa Lucia celebrated on 13 December; San Rocco, celebrated on 16 August
- Frazioni & Localities: San Rocco.
What to see
- The church of SS.Apostoli Pietro e Paolo, which dates back to the 17th century, where numerous works of sacred art are kept.
- The church of San Rocco (19th century)
- The remains in Acquara of a Roman aqueduct.
- The Monastery of Santa Maria della Sanità, built in the 17th century adorned with lately restored frescos, paintings and mosaics, is very interesting.
- Palazzo Moscati, a 19th-century elegant residence where San Giuseppe Moscati lived.
Where to stay
Originally a simple "Casale" (=hamlet) of Serino, it became an independent center only in the Middle Ages, around the middle of the 12th century, and was a small fiefdom under Guglielmo de Tivilla. Several feudal lords followed one another in the fief, which in 1561 was emancipated from feudal lords. It was in 1880 the birthplace of a Saint, Giuseppe Moscati, the "doctor of the poor", whose mortal remains are in the Sanctuary of the Church of Gesù Nuovo in Naples.