Lioni, Province of Avellino, Campania
Situated on the slopes of the Picentini Mountains, along the river Ofanto, 48 kilometers from Avellino, Lioni, with its typical rural buildings enjoys a great landscape and is an excellent point for excursions.
Located in the Irpinia seismic district, Lioni was one of the places most affected by the violent earthquake of 23 November 1980 with 210 victims.
Provinces of Campania
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 550 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 6100 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83047
- Phone Area Code: 0827
- Demonym: lionesi
- Patron Saint: San Rocco celebrated on 16 August
- How to reach it: by car, following the new road Ofantina; by train with the line Avellino - Rocchetta S. Antonio
- Frazioni & Localities: Civita, Oppido, Santa Maria del Piano, Valle delle Viti.
Where to stay
What to see
- The Brovesao waterfall, a natural beauty only 2 km from the town. After a 20 meters' jump, The water forms a small pond among the rocks, still used in the 1970s by bathers.
Its origins are ancient, as shown by Samnite walls probably going back to the 3rd century BC, and more ruins in the areas of Santa Maria del Piano and Fossa della Pila. In the Middle Ages it was a fiefdom of the Caracciolo, Imperiale and other families.