Lauro, Province of Avellino, Campania
Provinces of Campania
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 192 m a.s.l
- Territory: hilly
- Population: about 3400 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83023
- Phone Area Code: 081
- Demonym: lauretani
- Patron Saint: san Rocco celebrated on 16 August; san Sebastiano celebrated on 20 January
- How to reach it: Autostrada Napoli - Bari, exit Nola or Baiano or Sarno
- Frazioni & Localities: Fontenovella, Ima, Migliano, Pignano.
Where to stay
At the end of the Roman empire, it was invaded by the barbarians and became the center of one of their fiefdoms.
In 1632 it was bought by the Lancellotti family, who still own the castle. It has belonged to the province of Avellino since 1862, being before then a territory of Ager Nolanus, with Capua and Nola, included in the province called Terra di Lavoro.
What to see
- Villa Pandola S. Felice, at the foot of the Lancellotti Castle which was owned by the priests of Beneficio di Santa Maddalena.
- The Lancellotti Castle: Founded in the 10th century by Lombard dukes, it was destroyed and rebuilt by the Normans. Later occupied by the counts of Caserta, the De Balzo from Avellino, the Orsini counts of Nola, the Sanseverino, Marquis Pignatelli, and finally the Marquis Lanceliotti. Filippo Massimo Lancellotti at the end of the last century rebuilt it after its destruction by the French soldiers and the fire of 30th April 1799, under the Napoleonic troops.
- The church of Santa Maria del Carmine: built at the beginning of the 17th century, where a chapel to the Madonna del Carmine already existed.
- The church of Santi Patroni, dedicated to patron saints San Rocco and San Sebastiano
- The Abbey of Lauro: probably built by the monks of San Lorenzo of Anversa thanks to the donation of Pandolfo Capo di Ferro, prince of Benevento and Capua, free from any fiefdom taxes and civil dependency, after a victory against the Byzantines (977). In a document of 1087 it was already mentioned.
- The Monastery of San Giovanni del Palco founded by count Nicolò Orsini in 1383 e and dedicated at that time to St. John the Gospel writer.
- The Civic Museum Umberto Nobile.