Conza della Campania, Province of Avellino, Campania
Called simply Conza until 1860, the municipality is located in the valley of the Ofanto river, halfway between Lioni and Calitri, along the fast road "Ofantina", partially on the Appia and then on the SS 401 that connects Avellino with Melfi and Barletta.
In the 1980 earthquake Conza was completely destroyed and evacuated and is still under renovation. A temporary settlement of prefabricated lodgings in Piano delle Briglie, along the southern shore of the lake, is also now partially abandoned. The new Conza, built some years after the earthquake, is located at the foot of the hill in the valley 5 km away from the old Conza, now almost a ghost town.
Provinces of Campania
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 594 m a.s.l
- Territory: mountainous
- Population: about 1300 inhabitants in 2017
- Zip/postal code: 83040
- Phone Area Code: 0827
- Patron Saint: St. Erberto celebrated on 20 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Nuova Conza
Where to stay
The ancient "Compsa" of the Irpinians was occupied by Hannibal in 216 B.C., then passed under the Romans. It was an important city of Irpini. In medieval times the fiefdom belonged to the Balvano, the Gesualdo and the Mirelli families.