Vibo Valentia, Province of Vibo Valentia, Calabria
Provinces of Calabria
Other Italian Regions
- Population: about 34,000 inhabitants in 2018
- Zip/postal code: 89900
- Phone Area Code: 0963
- Patron Saint: St. Leoluca
- Frazioni & Localities: Vibo Marina, Bivona, Porto Salvo, Longobardi, San Pietro, Piscopio, Vene, Triparni.
- I Circoscrizione: Longobardi, San Pietro
- II Circoscrizione: Vena Superiore, Vena Media, Vena Inferiore, Triparni
- III Circoscrizione: Piscopio
- IV Circoscrizione: Vibo Valentia (Marina), Bivona, Portosalvo
- V Circoscrizione: Vibo Valentia (Centro Cittadino).
History - Antiquity
History - from the Middle Ages onwards
In the following centuries it was a renowned cultural center, and in 1799 Joachim-Napoléon Murat appointed it as capital of the province of Calabria Ultra. In 1928 the name was changed back to Vibo Valentia, and in 1992 it became the capital of the newly established province, created with part of the territory of the province of Catanzaro.