Gorgoglione, Province of Matera, Basilicata
Gorgoglione lies on the slopes overlooking the valley of the Agri River, in the central-western part of the province, in a rugged territory covered with oak woods, and rich in sandstone rocks called Gorgoglione stone.
Provinces of Basilicata
Follow us on Facebook
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 800 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1050 inhabitants
- Zip/postal code: 75010
- Phone Area Code: 0835
- Patron Saint: St. Anthony of Padova, celebrated on 13th June
- Distance from Matera: 95 km
- Location on Map.
- Surnames presently recorded in Gorgoglione.
The settlement has ancient origins, as shown by the discovery of tombs in Santa Maria degli Angeli dating from the 4th century BC, containing Apulian vases with red figures, now kept in the National Museum Domenico Ridola, Matera. The first mention of the name dates back to a papal bull of 1060, where the parishes belonging to the Diocese of Tricarico were listed. Included in the county of Montescaglioso, it later was under the Della Marra, the Carafa and the Spinelli families.
What to see
- The ruins of the mighty castle built by to the Della Marra
- The parish Church of Santa Maria Assunta: originally in the Romanesque style, then transformed into Baroque, with three naves, which preserves a fine baptismal font, a statue of San Rocco of the 15th century, an 18th-century Madonna del Rosario, and a 17th-century wooden cross of Neapolitan goldsmith's art.
- The Shrine of Madonna del Pergamo (=Our Lady of Pergamum), a countryside church located in a panoramic position a few kilometers from the center, already recorded in 1131.
- The Grotta dei Briganti, located south of the town, at an altitude of 760 meters above sea level, to the left of a tributary of the fiumara (=torrent) Gorgoglione. The entrance to the cavity opens at the foot of a rock about 40 m high, over which the village rises. The main axis of the cavity is 36 m, with a maximum height 2 m. The innermost part shows traces of dripping and concretions, with small stalactites a few cm in length and calcium crusts in the vicinity of the rocky walls. During the period of banditry it was used as a hiding place by robbers, hence its name.
- The Bosco le Manche, along the SS 103 towards Aliano, with nature trails and an equipped picnic area. The locality called Abate Lupo is a real natural viewpoint. Heading towards the top, in the direction of Sant'Angelo and Croce San Canio there is an uncontaminated area with natural springs and stately oaks.