Garaguso, Province of Matera, Basilicata
Provinces of Basilicata
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 492 m a.s.l
- Population: about 1100 inhabitants in 2010
- Zip/postal code: 75010
- Phone Area Code: 0835
- Patron Saint: San Gaudenzio, celebrated on 14 August
- Frazioni & Localities: Parata
- Distance from Matera: 58 km.
- Location on Map.
- Surnames presently recorded in Garaguso.
What to see
- The parish church of San Nicola, preserving a clay sculpture of the 15th century of the Madonna della Puglia (Our Lady of Apulia), a silver reliquary, and a canvas painted in 1761 by Fra Deodato from Tolve
- The Revertera palace of the 18th century, with a fine loggia with three arches.
Where to stay
In the Catalogus Baronum, drawn up under Guglielmo II, an Adam de Garagusa is mentioned, while in a bull of 1060 Garaguso was mentioned as belonging to the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Tricarico. It was a fief of the Sanseverino, Poderico and the House of Palo, and finally of the Revertera family.