Website of the Abbey: http://www.benedettinilendinara.it/
The strange episode and especially the light attracted a great number of people, and on the spot a small column (the Pilastrello) was built, on which the statue was placed, at the expense of local lawyer Lorenzo Malmignati. Many decades later in 1576 Ludovico Borezzo, a descendant of the statue's owner Giovanni, started works to renovate the much damaged small pillar, taking from a nearby fountain spring water for the masonry work, but astonished saw the clear water become red with blood, and exhibiting strange healing powers.
The site became a popular destination for sick people, and the sanctuary was built between 1577 and 1583 and the spring was deviated into it. In 1578 the first Benedictine monks arrived, to take care of the Sanctuary, but had to abandon the site on 29 October 1771 when the Republic of Venice suppressed the monastery. Only after World War One they were entrusted again the care of the abbey and Sanctuary by Pope Benedict XV. They belong to the Congregation of Santa Maria di Monte Oliveto.