LogoLogo

Castle of Cerro al Volturno, Cerro al Volturno (IS), Molise, Italy

Cerro al Volturno - Isernia, Molise Located in a strategic position at over 1600 feet above sea level, the massive fortress dominated the whole Upper Volturno Valley. It was founded in the 10th century by the monks of the powerful benedictine abbey of San Vincenzo al Volturno, on the remains of an ancient Lombard fortress.

In the late 15th century Count Federico Pandone of Venafro ordered the building of the three huge towers supported by massive bastions. In the following centuries it was a residence of the Colonna and finally of the Carafa family, whose descendants sold the castle in 1828 to the present owners, the Lombardi family.

More info on Cerro al Volturno

Follow us on Facebook: