Castel Gavone, Finalborgo, Finale Ligure (SV), Liguria, Italy
In 1188 Emperor Henry II founded Burgus Finarii, establishing his residence in Castel Govone, that was a fortress and after then an imperial residence. The Torre dei Diamanti was added later at the end of the 15th century.
Conquered by Spaniards in 1602, the castle was an important Spanish stronghold until 1714 when the Republic of Genoa took it over and ordered the destruction of the defense system with mines. So the glorious fortress was left in ruin for centuries, until in 1989 the last owners of the castle, the Cavassola family, donated it to the municipality of Finale Ligure.
Follow us on Facebook: