Perugia, Province of Perugia, Umbria Region, Italy

The capital of its province and of the Umbria region, the city is located in central Italy, near the Tiber river.

It was the hometown of two famous painters, Perugino (Pietro Vannucci) and Pinturicchio. It is also world-famous for chocolate, which is exported widely. In Perugia there is a chocolate festival every year in October.


Altitude: 494 m a.s.l -- Population: about 169,000 inhabitants in 2011 -- Zip/postal code: 06100 -- Phone Area Code: 075 -- Patron Saint: San Costanzo celebrated on 29 January; Sant'Ercolano celebrated on 7 November and 1st March; San Lorenzo celebrated on 10th August


Perugia was known as Perusia, one of the twelve confederate cities of Etruria and is first mentioned in the account of the war of 310 - 309 BC between the Etruscans and Romans. In 41-40 BC, when Lucius Antonius took refuge there, it was conquered by Octavian after a long siege and was burnt, with the exception of the temples of Vulcan and Juno.

In the middle of the 6th century it was captured by Totila after a long siege. In the Lombard period it is spoken of as one of the principal cities of Tuscia. In the 9th century, with the consent of Charles the Great and Louis the Pious, it passed under the popes; but for many centuries the city continued to maintain an independent life, warring against many of the neighbouring lands and cities--Foligno, Assisi, Spoleto, Todi, Montepulciano, and remaining loyal for the most part to the Guelphs (the Pope's party).

On various occasions the popes found asylum within its walls, and it was the meeting-place of the conclaves which elected Honorius II (1124), Honorius IV (1285), Celestine V (1294), and Clement V (1305).

In the 15th century power was concentrated in the Baglioni family, who defied all other authority. Gian Paolo Baglioni was lured to Rome in 1520 and beheaded by Leo X; and in 1534 Rodolfo, who had slain a papal legate, was defeated by Pier Luigi Farnese, and the city, captured and plundered by his soldiers, was deprived of its privileges. A citadel known as the Rocca Paolina, after the name of Pope Paul III, was begun six years later "ad coercendam Perusinorum audaciam."

In 1797 the city was conquered by French troops and it was finally united, along with the rest of Umbria, to the Kingdom of Italy in 1860.

What to see:

  • Cathedral (Duomo) S. Lorenzo
  • The Collegio del Cambio with Frescoes by Pietro Perugino
  • The Palazzo dei Priori, the ancient town hall, encompasing the Collegio del Cambio, Collegio della Mercanzia, and Galleria Nazionale hosting works by Duccio, Piero della Francesca, Fra Angelico, Perugino
  • The Basilica of San Domenico, begun in 1394
  • The Fontana Maggiore, a medieval fountain designed by Fra Bevignate and sculpted by Nicolò and Giovanni Pisano
  • The Ipogeo dei Volumni (Hypogeum of the Volumnus family), an Etruscan chamber tomb
  • The National Museum of Umbrian Archaeology
  • The Palazzo del Capitano del Popolo
  • The Porta Augusta, a Roman gate with Etruscan elements
  • The Rocca Paolina, a Renaissance fortress

Province of Perugia

Administrative division

Perugia includes the following Frazioni & Localities: Bagnaia, Bosco, Casaglia, Capanne, Casa del Diavolo, Castel del Piano, Cenerente, Civitella Benazzone, Civitella d'Arna, Collestrada, Colle Umberto I, Cordigliano, Colombella, Farneto, Fontignano, Fratticiola Selvatica, La Bruna, Lacugnano, Lidarno, Migiana di Monte Tezio, Monte Bagnolo, Monte Petriolo, Mugnano, Parlesca, Pianello, Piccione, Pila, Pilonico Materno, Poggio delle Corti, Ponte Felcino, Ponte Pattoli, Ponte San Giovanni, Ponte Valleceppi, Pretola, Ramazzano-Le Pulci, Rancolfo, Ripa, Resina, San Fortunato della Collina, San Giovanni del Pantano, Santa Maria Rossa, San Martino dei Colli, San Martino in Campo, San Martino in Colle, San Sisto, Sant'Andrea d'Agliano, Sant'Andrea delle Fratte, Sant'Egidio, Sant'Enea, Sant'Orfeto, Solfagnano, Villa Pitignano.

Where to stay

Follow us on Facebook: