La Maddalena, Sardegna, Italy
Other Provinces of Sardegna
Other Italian Regions
- Population: about 12,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 07024
- Phone Area Code: 0789
- Patron Saint: Santa Maria Maddalena
What to see
- The Cala Francese and Basa Trinita, two popular beaches.
- The nearby island of Caprera, which can be reached by causeway from La Maddalena, famous for its connection with the Italian Risorgimento hero Giuseppe Garibaldi, whose native homestead hosts today the National Museum Of Garibaldi.
- The Church of Santa Maria Maddalena
Where to stay
Until recently it was an American base, then in 1987 the US Navy received an executive order for the abandonment of the island and its return to the condition of natural park. Currently the sea is under observation by the French Navy to monitor radioactive contamination subsequently to the incident near the sand bank Secca dei Monaci of the American nuclear submarine USS Hartford in October 2003.