Arzachena, Sardegna, Italy
Other Provinces of Sardegna
Other Italian Regions
- Altitude: 84 mt a.s.l
- Population: ca. 11,000 inhabitants
- Zip/postal codes: 07021
- Phone Area Code: 0789
- Patron Saint: Santa Maria della Neve celebrated on 3rd Sunday in September
- Frazioni & Localities: Abbiadori, Baja Sardinia, Cannigione, Farina, Laconia, Liscia di Vacca, Monticanaglia, Padula d'Izzana, Pevero, Pulicinu, Porto Cervo, Santa Teresina
What to see
- about 2 km to the south-east the remarkable Nuraghe Malchittu, dated 1000 BC
- 5 km along the road leading to Luogosanto, the Tomba dei Giganti di Capichera, a collective sepulchre od the nuragic people, consisting of a huge oval monolith in front and a dolmen cell below.
- the Necropoli Li Muri, of the late Neolithic period, consisting of tombs made of stone circles with a central stone container.
- 19 km to the north-east, Porto Cervo, the most famous centre of the Emerald Coast, along an enclosed bay, with tourist port and high-quality tourist facilities
The town of Arsaghene or Arseguen is mentioned in 1421 in a document where Alphonse V of Spain granted feudal privilege to Ramboldo de Corbaria, and was the capital of the district of Unale; in the following centuries plagues and Saracen raids caused a massive drop in population, until in 1716 Sardinian sovereign Charles Emmanuel III, unable to militarily control Gallura, re-founded the town and sent priests to civilise and control the local shepherds.