In the 11th century AD it is recorded as Castel San Giorgio, then in 1267 it came under the control of Lorenzo Tiepolo, the Podestà of Fermo and later of Venice, who started the construction of the fortress. In the early 19th century it became a municipality separate from Fermo.
Porto San Giorgio, Province of Fermo, Marche region, Italy
An ancient mariner port 60 km south of the regional capital Ancona, it is a favourite tourist destination also in winter, thanks to the vicinity of the Sibillini mountains.
Altitude: 4 m a.s.l -- Population: ca. 16,000 inhabitants -- Zip/postal code: 63017 -- Phone Area Code: 0734 -- Patron Saint: San Giorgio celebrated on 23 April -- "Frazioni" & Localities: -- GPS Coordinates: 43°11'N 13°48'E -- Useful links: the official website of the comune www.comune.porto-san-giorgio.ap.it | a map of Porto San Giorgio -- How to arrive: by railway, the station is along the Bologna-Pescara line; by road, motorway A14 exit Porto San Giorgio; bus connection from Rome.
The origins of the town are very ancient, and connected to the rise of Fermo, which needed a port and outlet on the sea. In Roman times it was known as Navale Firmanorum. In the early Middle Ages it appeared in nautical charts, and was a trade transit point between Fermo and Venice.
What to see
Where to stay
Follow us on Facebook: