Castello di Rovereto, Rovereto (TN), Trentino Alto Adige, Italy
This imposing castle rises on a hill dominating the right bank of the Leno river and the ancient city of Rovereto. It was always used as a fortress and never as a residence, not even by the Castelbarco family that owned it for a long time and made it the stronghold from which to extend their power throughout Val Lagarina.
Occupied in 1416 by the Venetian Republic, the fortress was subjected to changes that modified the initial layout. The Venetians gave it its peculiar polygonal shape, the communication trenches for cannon servicing, the moat where several pieces of artillery are preserved, the Marino, Malipiero and Coltrino towers, the spur and the bastion that panoramically look out over the city and the valley. During the centuries, the Rovereto fortress was the center of many bloody battles.
In 1487 it was seized by the troops of the Archduke of Austria after a 40-day siege, was burned and devastated, then it was used as barracks and even as a prison. During the First World War it was damaged by the Italian artillery. Then during the Second World War its basements were used by the Rovereto population as refuge from air raids.
Follow us on Facebook: